Brand newLOWEST PRICE
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThat rare pleasure, a thriller that grips on every level, a bold and beautiful vel about history, memory and love. - Nicci French. This vel is set in a present day Istanbul, still full of secret groups, prosecutors and interrogators, where you can never be sure of intellectual freedom. It is a wonderfully complex plot, full of carefully drawn characters, who we see over a twenty-five year period when their lives constantly cross over, as they change from teenagers to adults. Maureen Freely is a controversial writer who is t afraid to criticize the Turkey she loves and writes about. She has defended Orhan Pamuk, two of whose vels she has translated, when he was prosecuted under Article 301 for insulting Turkishness, and she has also assisted Perihan Magden and Elif Shafak when they were prosecuted under similar articles. This book means she will probably be the next writer to face trial in Turkey.
- Author BiographyMaureen Freely was born in the United States, but her parents relocated to Istanbul and she grew up in Turkey. She was educated at Harvard University. She works as a translator, an academic at Warwick University, and as a writer, and lives in England.
- Author(s)Maureen Freely
- PublisherMarion Boyars Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication20/03/2007
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMarion Boyars Publishers Ltd
- Weight250 g
- Width135 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $12.83Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.33
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.20Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $21.55Trending at AU $22.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.