All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionThe second edition of this invative textbook introduces students to the ways that society shapes our many forms of entertainment and in turn, how entertainment shapes society. Entertainment and Society examines a broad range of types of entertainment that we enjoy in our daily lives - covering new areas like sports, video games, gambling, theme parks, travel, and shopping, as well as traditional entertainment media such as film, television, and print. A primary emphasis is placed on the impact of techlogical and cultural convergence on invation and the influence of contemporary entertainment. The authors begin with a general overview of the study of entertainment, introducing readers to various ways of understanding leisure and play, and then go on to trace a brief history of the development of entertainment from its live forms through mediated techlogy. Subsequent chapters review a broad range of theories and research and provide focused discussions of the relationship between entertainment and key societal factors including ecomics and commerce, culture, law, politics, ethics, advocacy and techlogy. The authors conclude by highlighting invations and emerging trends in live and mediated entertainment and exploring their implications for the future. The new edition features updated examples and pedagogical features throughout including text boxes, case studies, student activities, questions for discussion, and suggestions for further reading.
- Author BiographyShay Sayre is Professor Emeritus of Communications at California State University, Fullerton. Cynthia King is Associate Professor of Communications at California State University, Fullerton.
- Author(s)Cynthia King,Shay Sayre
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication25/02/2010
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note56 black & white tables, 60 black & white halftones
- Weight1224 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Foreword byJennings Bryant
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.