All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe effect of manmade activities is primarily local but can extend far away from the location of intervention. This underlines the importance of establishing coastal zone management plans covering large stretches of coastlines. In recent years, interest in Low Crested Structures (coastal defense structures with a low-crest) has been growing together with awareness of the sensitivity to environmental impacts produced by coastal defenses. The relation between wave climate, beach erosion, beach defence means, habitat changes and beach value, which clearly exists based on EC research results, suggests the necessity of an integrated approach when designing coastal protection schemes.In accordance with this need, the present design guidelines cover structure stability and construction problems, hydro and morphodynamic effects, environmental effects (colonisation of the structure and water quality), societal and ecomic impacts (recreational benefits, swimming safety, beach quality). Environmental Design Guidelines for Low Crested Coastal Structures is specifically dedicated to Low Crested Structures, and provides methodological tools both for the engineering design of structures and for the prediction of performance and environmental impacts of such structures. A briefing of current best practice for local and national planning authorities, statutory agencies and other stakeholders in the coastal zone is also covered.Presented in a generic way, this book is appropriate throughout the European Union, taking into account current European Commission policy and directives for the promotion of sustainable development and integrated coastal zone management. It fills the gap between engineering and ecology in coastal defense planning. It shows the reader how to perform an integrated design of coastal defense schemes. It presents latest insights on hydro-morphodynamics induced by structures. It provides directly applicable tools for the design of low crested structures. It highlights socio-ecomic perspectives in coastal defense design.
- Author BiographyHans Falk Burcharth is a Professor in the Department Of Civil Engineering at Aalborg University. Dr. Barbara Zanuttigh is an Associate Professor of Hydraulic Engineering at the University of Bologna, Italy. Her research is focused on Coastal Engineering, and specifically: wave-structure interaction, risk assessment and management, working with nature approaches and wave energy converters. She has been involved in many research projects, and was the Coordinator of the FP7 THESEUS project Innovative technlologies for safer European coasts in a changing climate (www.theseusproject.eu). She has been visiting researcher or collaborator with numerous national and international laboratories and universities, the most important experience being a visiting scholar of Coastal Structures at Delft University of Technology. She received the Torricelli Prize assigned by the Italian Hydraulic Group (2008) for the significant contribution to applied fluid mechanics. She is author of more than 150 papers, editor of a special issue of Coastal Engineering, and co-editor of Environmental Design Guidelines for Low Crested Coastal Structures. She has been supervising PhD students and a number of master and bachelor theses.
- Author(s)Alberto Lamberti,Barbara Zanuttigh,Hans Falk Burcharth,Stephen J. Hawkins,Tina J. Hawkins
- PublisherElsevier Science & Technology
- Date of Publication01/01/2007
- SubjectCivil Engineering & Environmental Engineering
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintElsevier Science Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight925 g
- Width165 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $6.15New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.44New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.