All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume brings together a set of key articles from the last 30 years pertaining to the environmental history of the Pacific basin. It aims to treat the islands and waters of the Pacific as well as the lands around the Rim, from New Zealand to Japan, to California, to Chile, and is the first work of environmental history to take this inclusive view of the Pacific basin. The focus is mainly on recent centuries but, as environmental history requires, at times the work also takes the very long view of millennia. Several of the articles seek to bring a broad Pacific perspective to bear on their subjects, while others use Pacific-basin examples to try to establish broader theoretical points of interest to all who are drawn to the study of the interactions between nature and culture. The book includes a bibliography of Pacific-basin environmental history and an introduction that aims to sketch the contours and possible future directions of the field.
- Author BiographyJ. R. McNeill, Georgetown University, USA Robert Marks, Mark Elvin, J. R. McNeill, Greg Bankoff, Ian Tyrrell, Alfred W. Crosby, J.-Louis Rallu, Donald Worster, Anthony Reid, Yi-Fu Tuan, Arthur E. McEvoy, Kurk Dorsey, David Hyndman, Joan Martinez-Alier, Eduardo R. Fuentes, Ernst R. Hajek, A. Radha Krishnan, Malcolm Tull, Conrad Totman.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication26/10/2001
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Series TitleThe Pacific World: Lands, Peoples and History of the Pacific, 1500-1900
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content Notebibliography, index
- Weight927 g
- Width169 mm
- Height244 mm
- Edited byProfessor J. R. McNeill
- Series Edited byProfessor Dennis O. Flynn,Professor Arturo Giraldez
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.