Environmental Security and Environmental Management: Proceedings of the NATO Advanced Research Workhop on the Role of Risk Assessment in Environmental Security and Emergency Preparedness in the Mediterranean Region, Held in Eilat, Israel, April 15-18, 2004 by Springer-Verlag New York Inc. (Hardback, 2005)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe concept of environmental security has emerged as one basis for understanding international conflicts. This phrase can mean a variety of things. It can signify security issues stemming from environmental concerns or conflicting needs, or it can mean that the environment is treated as a resource for the long term, and the question is what should be done today to preserve the quality of the environment in the future. In the same way that energy security is about ensuring access to energy for the long run, it can also mean that pressing environmental concerns create a situation where different countries and communities are forced to collaboratively design a unified response, even if cooperation is t generally in the logic of their relations. Over the last several years, the authors of this book and their colleagues have tried to demonstrate the power of risk assessment and decision analysis as valuable tools that decision makers should use for a broad range of environmental problems, including environmental security. Risk analysis is almost more a state of mind or a way of looking at problems than it is a kind of algorithm or a set of recipes. It projects a kind of rationality on problems and forces a certain degree of quantitative rigor, as opposed to the all too common tendency of making environmental recommendations based on anecdotal evidence.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication24/11/2005
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Series TitleNATO Security Through Science Series C (Closed):
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 5
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight653 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byBenoit Morel,Igor Linkov
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.