All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith globalization fast becoming an irreversible process, it is necessary to pay increased attention to the implications for environmental sustainability. However, the so-called environmental Kuznets curve (EKC) argument implies that rapid ecomic growth in many developing countries should be environmentally unsustainable. Environmental Sustainability addresses this dichotomy and articulates a tion of consumption sustainability that is both universal and pertains to the indefinite future. Additionally, it emphasizes the importance of addressing a broad spectrum of sources of environmental degradation and relates this measure to an index of ecomic achievement more complete than per capita income. As well as the EKC, authors Jha and Murthy also critique the Environmental Sustainability Index (ESI) and empirically substantiate the proposition that a certain type of development in the presently high-income countries is primarily responsible for global environmental degradation. Several policy conclusions for global environmental management are also advanced. Throughout, Jha and Murthy comprehensively evaluate existing approaches to environmental sustainability and critically review empirical studies of environmental degradation, and ecomic development, making this an invaluable source of information for those concerned with environmental ecomics and political ecomy.
- Author BiographyRaghbendra Jha is Rajiv Gandhi Chair Professor and Executive Director Australia South Research Centre, Division of Economics at the Australian National University. K.V. Bhanu Murthy is Professor Department of Commerce, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi.
- Author(s)K. V. Bhanu Murthy,Raghbendra Jha
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/12/2006
- SubjectEconomics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note35 black & white illustrations, 35 black & white line drawings
- Weight358 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.