All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionMartial, the father of the epigram, was one of the brilliant provincial poets who made their literary mark on first-century Rome. His Epigrams can be affectionate or cruel, elegiac or playful; they target every element of Roman society, from slaves to schoolmasters to, above all, the aristocratic elite. With wit and wisdom, Martial evokes t the grandeur that was Rome, but rather the timeless themes of urban life and society.
- Author BiographyJames Michie studied classics at Trinity College, Oxford. His other translations include The Poems of Catullus and Horace s Odes (available as a Modern Library Paperback Classic). His Collected Poems was awarded the Hawthornden Prize. Shadi Bartsch is Chair of the Department of Classics at the University of Chicago, the editor in chief of Classical Philology, and the author of Decoding the Ancient Novel; Ideology in Cold Blood: A Reading of Lucan s Civil War; and Actors in the Audi-ence: Theatricality and Doublespeak from Nero to Hadrian.
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication08/01/2002
- Series TitleModern Library
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintModern Library Inc
- Weight206 g
- Width134 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.