All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPeter Baumann develops and defends a distinctive version of epistemic contextualism, the view that the truth conditions or the meaning of kwledge attributions of the form S kws that p can vary with the context of the attributor. The first part of the book examines arguments for contextualism and develops Baumann's version. The first chapter deals with the argument from cases and ordinary usage; the following two chapters address theoretical arguments, from reliability and from luck. The second part of the book discusses the problems contextualism faces, to which it must respond, and provides an extension of contextualism beyond epistemology. Chapter 4 discusses lottery-scepticism and argues for a contextualist response. Chapter 5 is dedicated to a homemade problem for contextualism: a threat of inconsistency. Baumann argues for a way out and for a version of contextualism that can underwrite this solution. Chapter 6 proposes a contextualist account of responsibility: The concept of kwledge is t the only one which allows for a contextualist analysis and it is important to explore structural analogies in other areas of philosophy. The third part of the book is focused on some major objections to contextualism and alternative views, namely subject-sensitive invariantism, contrastivism and relativism.
- Author BiographyPeter Baumann is a Professor of Philosophy at Swarthmore College. He went to University in Gottingen (Germany) and Paris (Sorbonne; IEP). He received all of his degrees at the University of Gottingen. He has taught at the University of Gottingen, Hamburg University (Germany), Swarthmore College (USA), the University of Aberdeen (UK), and Wooster College (USA). From 1993-1995, he was a visiting fellow at the Philosophy Department at Stanford University.
- Author(s)Peter Baumann
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication20/10/2016
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight564 g
- Width166 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.