All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe idea of human equality and the requirement from the state to provide equal opportunity to all lie at the foundation of modern democracy. Focusing on the area of higher education, this volume discusses the tion of 'affirmative action', a generic term covering diverse measures-quotas, special institutions for the underprivileged, extra points on a 'scale of deprivation'-that are employed to ensure equal opportunity. While analysing the situation in India, the volume also compares the debates and policies on affirmative action in India with those in the United States and South Africa. The essays explore the influence of the 'creamy layer' on marginalized groups in a community, the new trends in higher education in India, and the place of the hitherto overlooked disparities of gender, religion, and the urban/rural divide in the discourse on affirmative action. The contributors come from varied disciplines including politics, sociology, law, ecomics, philosophy, and governance.
- Author BiographyZoya Hasan is Professor, Centre for Political Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. Martha C. Nussbaum is Ernst Freund Distinguished Service Professor of Law and Ethics at the Department of Philosophy, Law School, and Divinity School of the University of Chicago.
- PublisherOUP India
- Date of Publication05/01/2012
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintOUP India
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables, figures, graphs
- Weight434 g
- Width145 mm
- Height217 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byMartha C. Nussbaum,Zoya Hasan
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.