All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe postcard's heyday was at the beginning of the nineteenth century when it became an important means to record and share news. In addition to everyday images, there was a more clandestine trade in risque imagery. In Erotic Postcards of the Early Twentieth Century, author Nigel Sadler explores changes in social attitudes, fashions and techlogy through the medium of erotic postcards. The postcards demonstrate that early twentieth-century photographers appreciated and respected the female form, offering something more than just mere titillation. We see Lucien Walery's studies of women in body stockings in the 1920s, semi-nude dancers in motion in 1900, and images promoting Germany's 'plein air' movement in the 1920s and '30s. These fascinating postcards take us across Europe over the course of several decades, revealing variances in approach due to time and place. However, in all the images, the photographers have captured the beauty of the human form.
- Author BiographyNigel Sadler studied Archaeology and Geography at Manchester University 1983-1986 where one of his specialist courses was British Prehistory. He has written a number of books for Amberley. He is the founder and manager of Sands of Time Consultancy, which offers assistance in museum and heritage planning. He has also previously managed museums in both London and the Caribbean. He has written magazine articles and books on subjects as diverse as left handedness, Alfred Hitchcock, slavery, the role of children's clubs in museums, and several photographic books.
- Author(s)Nigel Sadler
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication10/09/2015
- Series TitlePostcard Collection
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note200
- Weight295 g
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.22
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $77.30Trending at AU $78.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.