Escape from Broadmoor: The Trials and Strangulations of John Thomas Straffen by Gordon Lowe (Paperback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $24.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJohn Thomas Straffen - Britain's longest-serving prisoner - was the first patient to escape from Broadmoor Hospital and be prosecuted for a crime committed on the run. He killed within hours. Prior to this, at his home in Bath, he was dismissed as a loner, an imbecile, a 'child trapped in an adult's body'. On the afteron of Sunday 15 July 1951, John Straffen strangled 8-year-old Brenda Goddard as she picked flowers. Three weeks later, he committed a similar murder before inadvertently confessing to the police. Faced with a serial killer with a mental age of 10, whose motive apparently was thing more than to any the police, the court sent Straffen to Broadmoor Institute, as it was kwn then, for the criminally insane. But on 29 April 1952, having spent only six months at the Institute, he escaped in a carefully planned bid for freedom that should t have been possible. During these four hours on the run, hoping to show the authorities he could be free and t commit further offences, Straffen instead murdered 5-year-old Linda Bowyer. Prime Minister Winston Churchill and his beleaguered government intervened to prevent Straffen walking free again. But was Straffen insane? Using previously unpublished documents, including government classified papers, author Gordon Lowe paints a vivid picture of a man who shocked the nation and confused the courts with his crimes. GORDON LOWE taught law in London for ten years, including a year in America. Returning to the West Country he set up his own law practice near Bath before retiring in 2012.
- Author BiographyGordon Lowe taught law in London for ten years, including a year in America. Returning to the West Country, he set up his own law practice near Bath before retiring in September 2010. He is the author of The Matfield Murders and a volunteer at Broadmoor Hospital.
- Author(s)Gordon Lowe
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2013
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note16 black & white plates
- Weight340 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.31
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.70
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.30
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.73
- AU $77.30Trending at AU $78.19
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.12
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.