All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $72.89
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
About this product
- DescriptionEscape into Danger tells the remarkable true story of a young girl's perilous adventures and coming-of-age during World War II. Only seventeen when Germany invaded Russia in 1941, Sophia left her native Kiev, unwittingly escaping the Babi Yar massacre. On her journey into Russia, she fled from flooding, dodged fires and bombs, and fell in love. At Stalingrad, Sophia turned back in a futile attempt to return home to her mother. Stranded in a Nazi-occupied town, accepted as a Russian, she found work with a sympathetic German officer and felt secure until a local girl recognized her as a Jew. Within days, Sophia's boss spirited her to safety with his family in Poland. Soon, though, Sophia was on the run again, this time to Nazi Germany, where she somehow escaped detection through the rest of the war. She met and married a like-minded German soldier and started a family, but she was again forced to flee, this time from her abusive husband, turned vindictive, homicidal stalker after their divorce. Throughout, Sophia maintained her grit, charm, and optimism, the qualities that saved her as she time and again made her escape into danger.
- Author BiographySophia Orlovsky Williams was born in Kiev to a Catholic mother and a Jewish father and chose to be identified as Jewish on the eve of World War II. Narrowly escaping Nazi capture during the war, she moved to the United States in 1952. Working as a draftsman, she was the first female to break into the traditionally male territory at EBASCO, then at Ford, Bacon & Davis, both of New York. She moved to San Francisco in 1955, where she was associated with Bechtel for thirty years until her retirement in 1985. She lives in Texas.
- Author(s)Sophia Orlovsky Williams
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication15/12/2011
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight612 g
- Width162 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.