All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith this sixth volume The Hogarth Press completes a major literary undertaking - the publication of the complete essays of Virginia Woolf. In this, the last decade of her life, Woolf wrote distinguished literary essays on Turgenev, Goldsmith, Congreve, Gibbon and Horace Walpole. In addition, there are a number of more political essays, such as 'Why Art To-Day Follows Politics', 'Women Must Weep' (a cut-down version of Three Guineas and never before reprinted), 'Royalty' (rejected by Picture Post in 1939 as 'an attack on the Royal family, and on the institution of kingship in this country'), 'Thoughts on Peace in an Air Raid', and even 'America, which I Have Never Seen...' ('['Americans are] the most interesting people in the world - they face the future, t the past'). In 'The Leaning Tower' (1940), Virginia Woolf faced the future and looked forward to a more democratic post-war age: 'will there be more towers and more classes and shall we stand, without hedges between us, on the common ground?'. Woolf stimulates her readers to think for themselves, so she 'never forges manifestos, issues guidelines, or gives instructions that must be followed to the letter' (Maria DiBattista). In providing an authoritative text, introduction and antations to Virginia Woolf's essays, Stuart N. Clarke has prepared a common ground - for students, common readers and scholars alike - so that all can come to Woolf without specialised kwledge.
- Author BiographyStuart N. Clarke has transcribed and edited Virginia Woolf's Orlando: The Original Holograph Draft (1993), was co-compiler with B.J. Kirkpatrick of the 4th edition of A Bibliography of Virginia Woolf (1997), and edited Translations from the Russian (2006) by Virginia Woolf and S.S. Koteliansky. He is a founding member of the Virginia Woolf Society of Great Britain and has edited its journal, the Virginia Woolf Bulletin, since its inception in 1999. Stuart also edited Volume 5 in this series.
- Author(s)Virginia Woolf
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication24/03/2011
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintChatto & Windus
- Weight1045 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine46 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.