All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEssays in Ecomics and Other Cheerful Themes is a collection of pieces on ecomy, polity and society, written by a social scientist over a number of years. The book addresses conceptual and empirical issues in development at both national and global levels. The philosophical bases of these issues are sought to be addressed in relatively n-technical and accessible terms. The book also makes space for essays that deal with less solemn phemena, such as cricket, film, the conduct of academic institutions, and the esoteric excesses of scholarly writing in the social sciences and humanities. The book is something of a professional ecomist's ramble through territory that is both familiar and important to him, but undertaken in a spirit of some leisureliness which the author hopes will attract a readership beyond that, solely, of fellow-professionals. Written primarily with the n-specialist reader in mind, these essays aim to be of interest to younger students, policy-makers, and involved and interested 'lay' citizens.
- Author BiographyS. Subramanian is Former Professor, Madras Institute of Development Studies (MIDS). He has been awarded a post-retirement, two-year National Fellowship by the Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR). An elected Fellow of the Human Development and Capability Association (HDCA), Subramanian has worked extensively on measurement and other aspects of poverty, inequality, and demography, and on topics in collective choice theory, welfare economics and development economics. His work has been published in journals such as Journal of Development Economics, Economics and Philosophy, Social Choice and Welfare, and Theory and Decision. He is the recipient (along with his co-author) of the 2001 Dudley Seers Memorial Prize awarded to the best article published in the Journal of Development Studies. An established scholar in poverty and inequality, he has edited/authored the following titles: * Themes in Development Economics: Essays in Honour of Malcolm Adiseshiah, New Delhi. * Measurement of Inequality and Poverty (Readers in Economics Series), New Delhi. Illfare in India: Essays on India's Social Sector in Honour of S. Guhan (with Barbara Harriss-White), Delhi: SAGE Publications, 1999. * India's Development Experience: Selected Writings of S. Guhan, New Delhi. Rights, Deprivation, and Disparity: Essays in Concepts and Measurement (Collected Essays Series), New Delhi. * Poverty, Inequality, and Population: Essays in Development and Applied Measurement (with D. Jayaraj), New Delhi. (paperback edition: 2012). * The Poverty Line (Oxford India Short Introductions Series), New Delhi.
- Author(s)Dr. S. Subramanian
- PublisherSAGE Publications India Pvt Ltd
- Date of Publication12/08/2014
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintSAGE Publications India Pvt Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white tables
- Weight318 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.37Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.