All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this collection of writings Stan Brakhage examines the possibilities of film as an art form independent of commercial consideration. He relates film to dance and poetry, and in A Moving Picture Giving and Taking Book provides a manual for the vice filmmaker. In the course of making some 340 films over the past 48 years, Stan Brakhage has become synymous with independent American filmmaking, particularly its avant-garde component. This major collection of writings draws primarily upon two long out-of-print books-Metaphors on Vision and Brakhage Scrapbook. Brakhage examines filmmaking in relation to social and professional contexts, the nature of influence and collaboration, the aesthetics of personal experience, and the conditions under which various films were made. Brakhage discusses his predecessors and contemporaries, relates film to dance and poetry, and in A Moving Picture Giving and Taking Book provides a manual for the vice filmmaker. Lectures, interviews, essays, and manifestos document Brakhage's personal vision and public persona. Two important but long unavailable books by experimental filmmaker Stan Brakhage - Metaphors on Vision and Brakhage Scrapbook - are restored to print in this welcome reissue. Part of the great post-WWII generation of Americans who revolutionized every area of artistic activity, Brakhage was arguably as important to his medium as John Cage or Jackson Pollock were to theirs, and has never received his full due. This is at least partly because his work has been hard to actually see outside of a few places, and there is a lot to see - 340 films over 48 years. But anyone who has seen even a minute or two of a film like Dog Star Man - with its scratches and painted frames, its stunning juxtaposition of abstraction and materiality - immediately recognizes t only Brakhage's singular sensibility, but also its ermous influence on our visual culture. To paraphrase David Bowie talking about the Velvet Underground, t a lot of people saw Brakhage's films, but everyone who did became a filmmaker. Luckily, Brakhage's writings convey much of the volcanic intelligence of his films, as well as eloquently extending their thematic concerns. Brakhage writes in a variety of modes, from the concise filmmaking manual of A Moving Picture Giving and Taking Book (written as a short book on film technique which could be read by poets ) to such poetically charged texts as Angels and Notes of Anticipation, in which a film's shot list resembles a text by Gertrude Stein. The book also includes a number of interviews, as well as an antated list of key films and an extensive bibliography. This book would be important even if Brakhage were t such an engaging writer, but the eclectic range and concision of this collection make it an essential addition to the small library of film classics by filmmakers.
- Author BiographyStan Brakhage is the author of Film at Wit's End, Film Biographies, The Brakhage Lectures, and other books. Born January 14, 1933, Mr. Brakhage has been a professor of film studies at the University of Colorado, Boulder, for the past twenty years. He has received honorary doctorates from San Francisco Art Institute, California Institute of the Arts, and Bard College. His other honors include eight grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, a Guggenheim Fellowship, a Rockefeller Fellowship, the American Film Institute's Maya Deren Award, the MacDowell Medal, a Telluride Film Festival Medallion, and the Lifetime Achievement Award of the Denver International Film Festival.
- Author(s)Stan Brakhage
- PublisherMcPherson & Co Publishers,U.S.
- Date of Publication04/12/2001
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcPherson & Co Publishers,U.S.
- Content Note20ill.
- Weight318 g
- Width140 mm
- Height2160 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Volume editorBruce McPherson
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $23.89Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.