All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJohn R. Thelin's A History of American Higher Education has become a standard in higher education studies. Designed to be used alongside this groundbreaking book or on its own, Essential Documents in the History of American Higher Education presents primary sources that chart the social, intellectual, political, and cultural history of American colleges and universities from the seventeenth century to the present. Documents are organized in sections that parallel the chapters in the first book both chrologically and thematically. Thelin introduces sections with brief headtes establishing the context for each source. In addition to such landmark documents as the charter for the College of Rhode Island (1764), the Morrill Land Grand Act (1862), the GI Bill (1944), and the Knight Commission Report on College Sports (2010), Thelin includes lively firsthand accounts by students and teachers that tell what it was like to be a Harvard student in the 1700s, to participate in the campus riots of the 1960s, to be a female college athlete in the 1970s, or to enroll at UCLA as a ecomically disadvantaged Latina in the 1990s. Thelin also includes pieces by popular writers such as Robert Benchley and James Thurber on their own college days, as well as an excerpt from Groucho Marx's screwball film Horse Feathers that help illustrate how ingrained college life has become in American pop culture. Reflecting the richness of three centuries of American higher education, this complex and nuanced collection will be an essential resource for students of the history of education.
- Author BiographyJohn R. Thelin is University Research Professor and a member of the Educational Policy Studies Department at the University of Kentucky. His many books include A History of American Higher Education and Games Colleges Play: Scandal and Reform in Intercollegiate Athletics, both published by Johns Hopkins.
- Author(s)John R. Thelin
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication30/05/2014
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note5, 2 black & white halftones, 3 black & white line drawings
- Weight658 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 13
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.