About this product
- DescriptionThis text is an accessible, student-friendly introduction to thewide range of mathematical and statistical tools needed by theforensic scientist in the analysis, interpretation and presentatiof experimental measurements.
From a basis of high school mathematics, the book developsessential quantitative analysis techniques within the context of abroad range of forensic applications. This clearly structured textfocuses on developing core mathematical skills together with anunderstanding of the calculations associated with the analysis ofexperimental work, including an emphasis on the use of graphs andthe evaluation of uncertainties. Through a broad study ofprobability and statistics, the reader is led ultimately to the useof Bayesian approaches to the evaluation of evidence within thecourt. In every section, forensic applications such as ballisticstrajectories, post-mortem cooling, aspects of forensicpharmacokinetics, the matching of glass evidence, the formation ofbloodstains and the interpretation of DNA profiles are discussedand examples of calculations are worked through. In every chapterthere are numerous self-assessment problems to aid studentlearning.
Its broad scope and forensically focused coverage make this bookan essential text for students embarking on any degree course inforensic science or forensic analysis, as well as an invaluablereference for post-graduate students and forensicprofessionals.
Key features: * Offers a unique mix of mathematics and statistics topics,specifically tailored to a forensic science undergraduatedegree. * All topics illustrated with examples from the forensic sciencediscipline. * Written in an accessible, student-friendly way to engageinterest and enhance learning and confidence. * Assumes only a basic high-school level prior mathematicalkwledge.
- Author(s)Craig Adam
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication16/04/2010
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationHoboken
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight750 g
- Width176 mm
- Height251 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.45Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $25.82
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $21.49Trending at AU $23.07