All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow can society most effectively prevent disease and promote health? That is the challenge addressed by this textbook. Public health is the art and science of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health through the organised efforts of society. The 'science' is concerned with making a diagsis of a population's health problems, establishing their cause and determining effective interventions. The 'art' lies in creatively addressing these problems. Essential Public Health captures both the art and science of the field. This second edition has been fully updated with contemporary examples and includes new chapters on sustainability and change, management and leadership. Examples are taken from health systems throughout the world, giving readers a wider perspective of the challenges faced. This is essential reading for all trainees in health care, social care and related disciplines. An internet companion includes supplementary information and interactive, self-assessment questions to test understanding and aid learning.
- Author BiographyStephen Gillam is Director of Public Health Teaching at the School of Clinical Medicine, University of Cambridge and a GP in Luton. He is a visiting professor at the University of Bedfordshire. Jan Yates is a Public Health Consultant in the East of England Strategic Health Authority and a Fellow of the Faculty of Public Health registered with the UK Public Health Register. She is also a qualified teacher. Padmanabhan Badrinath is a Consultant in Public Health Medicine for the NHS in Suffolk and Affiliated Clinical Lecturer in the Department of Public Health and Primary Care, University of Cambridge.
- PrizesCommended for British Medical Association Book of the Year 2013.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication28/06/2012
- SubjectMedical Nursing & Ancillary Services
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note24 b/w illus. 46 colour illus.
- Weight740 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byJan Yates,Padmanabhan Badrinath,Stephen Gillam
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.