All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionMore and more often, emotional and behavioral problems in the young are being evaluated and treated by professionals other than child and adolescent psychiatrists -- busy clinicians who may struggle to keep abreast of the rapid changes in this challenging field. This book can help those nspecialists better understand the problems of young patients by presenting specific guidance on more than a dozen commonly seen conditions, such as attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, conduct disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, phobias, eating disorders, and tic disorders -- all in concise chapters written by leading experts on these disorders. Essentials of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry distills the authoritative advice found in the third edition of The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Updating and pruning that volume's detailed and comprehensive content, Essentials omits those chapters directed primarily toward subspecialists and retains what is immediately useful to general psychiatrists, pediatricians, neurologists, and nphysician mental health clinicians such as nurses, psychologists, social workers, and family therapists. It offers an overview of child and adolescent psychiatric problems; practical guidance in the use of interviews, rating scales, and laboratory and diagstic testing with young patients; and targeted information on a wide range of often-perplexing disorders, including: * the assessment and diagsis of mental retardation; autistic disorders; and learning, motor skills, and communication disorders* guidelines relating to the differential diagsis of schizophrenia, early-onset mood disorders, and anxiety disorders* an overview of clinical management of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder with a summary of the extensive treatment research * the assessment and treatment of substance abuse disorders in youth, including adaptations for youth with comorbid disorders* chapters on posttraumatic stress disorder and child abuse* strategies for intervention with youth showing suicidal behavior The book also features an updated chapter on psychopharmacology covering stimulants, antidepressants, antipsychotics, mood stabilizers, and antianxiety drugs and addressing diagstic considerations for their use. Other treatment measures are covered in the chapters on specific disorders. Each chapter ends with multiple-choice questions for self-assessment. For the clinician who needs a practical guide to child and adolescent psychiatric disorders, Essentials is indeed essential, setting a new standard for authoritative help.
- Author BiographyMina Dulcan, M.D., is Osterman Professor and Head of the Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Children's Memorial Hospital and Director of the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern University in Chicago, Illinois. Jerry M. Wiener, M.D., original editor of The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, died in 2002.
- PublisherAmerican Psychiatric Association Publishing
- Date of Publication15/01/2006
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationVA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Psychiatric Press Inc.
- Weight1379 g
- Width152 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine42 mm
- Edited byJerry M. Wiener,Mina K. Dulcan
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.