Essentials of Personality Disorders by American Psychiatric Association Publishing (Paperback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $107.79Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $93.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEssentials of Personality Disorders draws on core material from The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Personality Disorders, covering the essentials of the topic in an abridged version and including the recent growth of kwledge in the neurosciences and new techlogies being used to tackle the treatment of complex psychiatric disorders. In this volume, 35 international authorities - all contributors to the parent text - offer a balance of theory, research, and treatment geared toward ready application to a busy practice. Essentials of Personality Disorders provides half of the chapters found in the larger work, with a focus on material that is both up-to-date and useful to practicing clinicians. It first reviews the evolution of the personality disorders component in successive editions of DSM, along with major theories that have influenced thinking about their nature. A succinct guide to clinical evaluation then presents the defining features of DSM-IV-TR personality disorders, complementary approaches to clinical assessment, patterns of Axis I and Axis II disorder comorbidity, and clinical courses and outcomes. Chapters on etiology reflect the most recent data on epidemiology, progress in understanding underlying neurobiology, a developmental perspective on recognizing early patterns of behavior suggestive of future disorders, and the relevance of childhood experiences - particularly stress - to the development of maladaptive personality traits. Eleven chapters on treatment then offer guidelines for determining the appropriate intensity of treatment for patients, followed by a presentation of therapeutic options and considerations ranging from group treatment to boundary issues. Included in this section: A chapter on the application of mentalization-based therapy in treatment of patients with borderline personality disorder that offers an approach to attachment via a model that views this disorder as dysfunction in self-regulation. Core elements of dialectical behavior therapy, including both individual and group interventions to address parasuicidal behaviors. Emphasis on the necessity of explicitly considering alliance building across all treatment modalities. Recommendations for negotiating collaborative treatments, taking into account patients engaged in several modalities at the same time. Evidence of the association of suicidal behavior and personality disorders, examining risk factors and discussing clinical approaches to management. In a concluding chapter, the volume editors and experts in this field summarize current controversies, look ahead to DSM-V, and speculate about future directions. Presenting the essentials of a definitive text, Essentials of Personality Disorders is a practical volume that puts critical information on these vexing conditions at your fingertips.
- Author BiographyJohn M. Oldham, M.D., M.S., is Senior Vice President and Chief of Staff at The Menninger Clinic and Professor and Executive Vice Chairman in the Menninger Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. Andrew E. Skodol, M.D., is Research Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Arizona College of Medicine and President of Sunbelt Collaborative in Tucson, Arizona. Donna S. Bender, Ph.D., is Research Associate Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Arizona College of Medicine and Chief Executive Officer and Director of Sunbelt Collaborative in Tucson, Arizona.
- PublisherAmerican Psychiatric Association Publishing
- Date of Publication03/03/2009
- SubjectIndustrial Chemistry & Manufacturing
- Place of PublicationVA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Psychiatric Association, Div of American Psychiatric Pr., Inc
- Content Note6 line drawings, 19 tables
- Weight885 g
- Width152 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byAndrew E. Skodol,Donna S. Bender,John M. Oldham
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.08
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.