All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere are an astonishing variety of election laws across contemporary democratic societies. In Establishing the Rules of the Game, Louis Massicotte, Andr Blais, and Antoine Yoshinaka provide the first thorough examination of these laws. The study incorporates original data collected from more than sixty democracies around the world, and touches on oft-igred, yet extremely important, aspects of election laws. The countries covered by the study include Argentina, Brazil, Canada, France, Japan, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Romania, and the United Kingdom. The authors focus on six dimensions of election laws: the right to vote, the right to be a candidate, the electoral register, the agency in charge of the election, the procedure for casting votes, and the procedure to sort out the winners and losers. Massicotte, Blais, and Yoshinaka uncover underlying patterns, explaining why certain types of country tend to adopt a given sets of rules. In general, former colonies adopt the same laws as their former mother country. There is also a tendency for established democracies to be more inclusive than n-established ones. The authors point out sociological patterns and review rmative and practical arguments for and against each set of rules, providing invaluable information for students of elections and democratic theory as well as election practicioners.
- Author BiographyAndr Blais is Professor of Political Science and Canada Research Chair in Electoral Studies at the Universit de Montr al. Louis Massicotte is an associate professor in the Department of Political Science at l'Universite de Montreal. Antoine Yoshinaka is a PhD candidate in the Department of Political Science at the University of Rochester.
- Author(s)Andre Blais,Antoine Yoshinaka,Louis Massicotte
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication03/01/2004
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note21 tables
- Weight440 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.69
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
- AU $35.28Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.