All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the span of only seventy years, Estonia first proclaimed its independence, was occupied and deprived of its sovereignty, saw many of its citizens deported, and yet managed to recover its independence. How did this small nation keep its language and traditions alive during half a century of occupation, and how did it maintain such a vivid sense of identity? For the first time in English, this book gives a comprehensive view of the events which shaped the destiny of contemporary Estonia. The Editor, Jean-Jacques Subrenat, has called upon an unusually broad spectrum of the best experts (in history, archeology, political science, genetics, literature), but also on some of the leaders who took part in the rebuilding of Estonia, to offer more than a history, rather a unique testimony on a nation reborn. Estonia: Identity and Independence provides rare insight into the many aspects of a country whose location in Northern Europe, within the European Union, and as a NATO ally, but also as a close neighbour of Russia, deserves the attention of scholars, journalists, and informed readers today. This volume includes a thorough chrology of Estonia (from prehistory to accession to the European Union), and a brief c.v. of each co-author. Estonia: Identity and Independence is also available in three other languages (Estonian, Russian, French).
- Author BiographyJean-Jacques Subrenat (born 9 June 1940), worked at the CNRS, Centre for Scientific Research, in Paris (1967-1971), French diplomat (1972-). Permanent representative to the WEU in Brussels (1995-1998), Ambassador to Estonia (1998-2002), to Finland (2003-).
- Date of Publication01/01/2004
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Series TitleOn the Boundary of Two Worlds
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- ImprintEditions Rodopi B.V.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight478 g
- Width15 mm
- Height22 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Translated byDavid Cousins,Eric Dickens,Alexander Harding,Richard C. Waterhouse
- Volume editorJean-Jacques Subrenat
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.