All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLiving in a networked world means never really getting to decide in any thoroughgoing way who or what enters your space (your laptop, your iPhone, your thermostat ...your home). With this as a basic frame-of-reference, James J. Brown's Ethical Programs examines and explores the rhetorical potential and problems of a hospitality ethos suited to a new era of hosts and guests. Brown reads a range of computational strategies and actors, from the general principles underwriting the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), which determines how packets of information can travel through the internet, to the Obama election campaign's use of the power of protocols to reach voters, harvest their data, incentivize and, ultimately, shape their participation in the campaign. In demonstrating the kind of rhetorical spaces networked software establishes and the access it permits, prevents, and molds, Brown makes a significant contribution to the emergent discourse of software studies as a major component of efforts in broad fields including media studies, rhetorical studies, and cultural studies.
- Author BiographyJames J. Brown, Jr. is an Assistant Professor of English and Director of the Digital Studies Center at Rutgers University-Camden, USA. His teaching and research focus on rhetoric, writing, new media, and software studies.
- Author(s)James Brown
- PublisherThe University of Michigan Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2015
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleDigital Humanities
- Place of PublicationAnn Arbor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Michigan Press
- Content Note9 illustrations
- Weight825 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.