All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.00Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.51
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.42
About this product
- DescriptionExamining the concepts of 'ethics' and 'justice' as they apply to the environment, this book starts from the observation that environmental ethics and environmental justice appear to have few points of contact. It attempts to find a common ground between these two strands and so to develop a unified statement of justice for the environment that includes the insights of both approaches. Adrian Armstrong argues that the standard account of justice is too anthropocentric, and attempts to provide an alternative account of justice, based on Nussbaum's capabilities approach, in which the needs of animals, ecosystems and the earth are identified and given moral consideration. Although the two movements do t come together at the theoretical level, this book shows that they do so at the grass roots activist level, and provides a review of the extent to which the environmental justice movement - primarily an American phemen - can be used to inform environmental ethical approaches suitable for use in resolving current issues. Beyond identifying justice, practical considerations require rules for the resolutions of conflicts of interest, particularly between human and environmental needs. Thus Ethics and Justice for the Environment explores the value of the approach by considering three areas of applicability: climate change and energy use; human relations with animals, and direct protest action.
- Author BiographyProfessor Adrian Armstrong lectures on Environmental Ethics at Birmingham University, where he is an Honorary Professor in the School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences. He has also acted as Ethical advisor to the European Commission DG Research project review panel.
- Author(s)Adrian Armstrong
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/12/2013
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 black & white tables
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.