All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat are the ethical principles underpinning the idea of a just war and how should they be adapted to changing social and military circumstances? In this book, Steven P. Lee presents the basic principles of just war theory, showing how they evolved historically and how they are applied today in global relations. He examines the role of state sovereignty and individual human rights in the moral foundations of just war theory and discusses a wide range of topics including humanitarian intervention, preventive war, the moral status of civilians and enemy combatants, civil war and terrorism. He shows how just war theory relates to both pacifism and realism. Finally, he considers the future of war and the prospects for its obsolescence. His clear and wide-ranging discussion, richly illustrated with examples, will be invaluable for students and other readers interested in the ethical challenges posed by the changing nature of war.
- Author BiographySteven P. Lee is Donald R. Harter Professor in Humanities at Hobart and William Smith Colleges in Geneva, New York. He is the author of Morality, Prudence, and Nuclear Weapons (Cambridge University Press, 1993) and What Is the Argument? Critical Thinking in the Real World (2002), the editor of Intervention, Terrorism, and Torture: Contemporary Challenges to Just War Theory (2007) and the co-editor of Ethics and Weapons of Mass Destruction (Cambridge University Press, 2004).
- Author(s)Steven P. Lee
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication22/12/2011
- Series TitleCambridge Applied Ethics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note4 b/w illus. 3 tables
- Weight680 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $16.08Trending at AU $23.14
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.