All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the first half of the twentieth century, the United States moved from the periphery to the center of global cultural production. At the same time, techlogies of dissemination evolved rapidly, and versions of modernism emerged as dominant art forms. How did African American, European immigrant, and other mirity writers take part in these developments that also transformed the United States, giving it an increasingly multicultural self-awareness? This book attempts to address this question in a series of invative and engaging close readings of major texts by Gertrude Stein, Mary Antin, Jean Toomer, O. E. Rolvaag, Nathan Asch, Henry Roth, Richard Wright, Zora Neale Hurston, Pietro di Donato, Jerre Mangione, John Hersey, and Leo Szilard, as well as briefer examinations of many other authors and works, against the background of international political developments, the rise of modernism in the visual arts, and the ascendancy of Ernest Hemingway as a model for prose writers.In many of Werner Sollors' sensitive readings, single sentences and paragraphs serve as the representative formal units of prose works, while throughout Ethnic Modernism the trolley (w a cute-seeming object of stalgia) emerges with surprising frequency as a central thematic emblem of modernity.
- Author BiographyWerner Sollors is Henry B. and Anne M. Cabot Professor of English and Afro-American Studies at Harvard University. His many books include Neither Black nor White yet Both: Thematic Explorations of Interracial Literature (Harvard).
- Author(s)Werner Sollors
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication10/10/2008
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Weight522 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Trade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.97
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.