Ethnocultural Factors in Substance Abuse Treatment by Guilford Publications (Paperback, 2003)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $76.63Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $69.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book presents a culturally informed framework for understanding and treating substance abuse problems. From expert contributors, chapters cover specific ethcultural groups in the United States, including Americans of African, Native American, Lati, European, Middle Eastern, and Asian descent. Authors examine how ethcultural factors may affect a person's attitudes toward alcohol and other drugs, patterns of substance use, reasons for seeking treatment, and responsiveness to various interventions. Themes addressed include the impact of migration and acculturation issues, spiritual values and traditions, family structures, gender roles, and experiences of prejudice and discrimination. Featuring a wealth of illustrative clinical material, the book makes concrete recommendations for more competent, effective assessment and intervention. It also guides clinicians toward greater awareness of the ways their own ethcultural backgrounds may affect their interactions with clients.
- Author BiographyShulamith Lala Ashenberg Straussner, DSW, LCSW, is Professor at the Shirley M. Ehrenkranz School of Social Work at New York University, where she is also Director of the Post-Master's Program in the Treatment of Alcohol- and Drug-Abusing Clients. She was a Fulbright Senior Scholar to Israel in 2003; Distinguished Visiting Professor at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev in Beer-Sheva, Israel, in January 2002; and Visiting Professor at the Omsk State Pedagogical University in Siberia, Russia, in the spring of 2000. Dr. Straussner has authored and edited numerous publications dealing with substance abuse and is the founding editor of the new Journal of Social Work Practice in the Addictions. She has served on the National Center on Substance Abuse Treatment panel on workforce issues and is a founding board member of the New York State Institute for Professional Development in Addictions. She serves as a consultant to various hospitals, agencies, and other organizations in New York and lectures on a variety of topics throughout the United States and abroad. She also has a private therapeutic and supervisory practice in New York City.
- PublisherGuilford Publications
- Date of Publication03/04/2003
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGuilford Publications
- Weight622 g
- Width152 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edited byShulamith Lala Ashenberg Straussner
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $22.63Trending at AU $23.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.