All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEthgraphic perspectives are often used by archaeologists to study cultures both past and present - but what happens when the ethgraphic gaze is turned back onto archaeological practices themselves? That is the question posed by this book, challenging conventional ideas about the relationship between the subject and the object, the observer and the observed, and the explainers and the explained. This book explores the production of archaeological kwledge from a range of ethgraphic perspectives. Fieldwork spans large parts of the world, with sites in Turkey, the Netherlands, Mexico, Brazil, Italy, Germany, the USA and the United Kingdom being covered. They focus on excavation, inscription, heritage management, student training, the employment of hired workers and many other aspects of archaeological practice. These experimental ethgraphic studies are situated right on the interface of archaeology and anthropology_on the road to a more holistic study of the present and the past.
- Author BiographyMatt Edgeworth directs and manages archaeological projects in a commercial environment. His doctorate in Archaeology and Social Anthropology was obtained from the University of Durham, and he is the author of numerous excavation reports and urban surveys. The account of his ethnography of an archaeological excavation in England was recently published as 'Acts of Discovery' (BAR, Archaeopress 2003). He is currently research associate and project officer at University of Leicester, United Kingdom (since 2008).
- PublisherAltaMira Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication27/04/2006
- Series TitleWorlds of Archaeology
- Place of PublicationCalifornia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAltaMira Press,U.S.
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight340 g
- Width152 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byMatt Edgeworth
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.