All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe new edition of this classic book provides readers with an introduction to a key period in modern European history. The second edition has been updated in the light of recent scholarship and includes a fully revised bibliography.In the eighteenth century the claims of monarchs and even privileged aristocracies to unquestioned obedience and of the Church to a mopoly of truth were challenged by an increasingly secular and literate society. Reason, the rights of the individual to freedom from arbitrary government and increased tolerance shaped discourses of opposition. A growing population pressing on food supplies and the fiscal demands of governments with expansionist ambitions in America, Asia or central and eastern Europe contributed to confrontation and dissent.Professor Hufton provides a fascinating account of the undermining of an archaic social order, top heavy with courts, bureaucracies and standing armies in different European contexts. She demonstrates how privilege was countered with protests which provoked constitutional crises and generated popular violence precipitating Europe into an age of revolution.
- Author BiographyOlwen Hufton The author is a Leverhulme Professor of History at Oxford, and a Senior Research Fellow at Merton College, Oxford. She was Professor of History at Reading University until 1987 when she became William Kenan Professor of History at Harvard, a post which she held until 1991. From 1991 to 1997 Olwen Hufton was a Professor in the Department of History and Civilisation at the European University Institute in Florence.
- Author(s)Olwen Hufton
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication17/11/2000
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleBlackwell Classic Histories of Europe S.
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note0
- Weight552 g
- Width160 mm
- Height237 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.