All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume presents selected proceedings of a conference on 'Europe and its Others' held at St Andrews University in 2007. It seeks to explore the collective and cultural persona implied by Europe's richly diverse gaze upon, and dealings with, n-Europeans, encountered or represented in the course of travel, trade, conquest or cultural exchange - and their gaze-in-return questioning 'Europe'. The play of defining 'interperceptions' is followed here in a series of essays covering a broad spectrum of imaginative writings, film, history and culture theory produced in many European languages. Bringing together specialists in all these fields, this volume scans the unseen processes that the early twenty-first century has come to discern in identity formation: the role of gender as a paradigmatic signifier of Otherness; the narrating of history and memory; the role of border zones and marginalities; the hidden grammar of hostility and violence; the bonding effected by shared values and sacralities; public and private spaces of representation; the Other without and the otherness within. What emerges from this two-way play of reflection is a sense of the tissue of awareness of the cultural identity that is 'Europe'; and, perhaps, a renewed openness to Europe's Others.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Paul Gifford is Buchanan Professor (Emeritus) of French at the University of St Andrews. His specialism lies in twentieth-century literature and thought, in textual genetics and in identity studies. For ten years he directed the Institute of European Cultural Identity Studies at St Andrews. He is currently Visiting Research Fellow with the Girard Foundation at Stanford University. Tessa Hauswedell holds a Ph.D. from the Institute for European Cultural Identity Studies, University of St Andrews. Her thesis, completed in 2009, deals with the question of discursive European identity formation in European cultural journals from 1989 to 2006.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/04/2010
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Series TitleCultural Identity Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number18
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Note1, 1 ill.
- Weight430 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edited byPaul Gifford,Tessa Hauswedell
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.46
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $91.12
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.68
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $99.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.