All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionIn the new edition of this classic book, Geoffrey Parker draws on material from all over Europe to provide an authoritative and exciting account of the eventful first half of the seventeenth century. The continent enjoyed scarcely a year of peace during this period. Instead revolution, civil war and complex international conflicts brought many states to the edge of collapse in the 1640s. Professor Parker examines three crucial conflicts: the desperate struggle of the Habsburgs with France and the Dutch Republic: the rivalry of Sweden, Denmark, Russia and Poland for control of the Baltic, and the confrontation between the Austrian Habsburgs and their subjects which escalated into the Thirty Years' War. He also illuminates the leading social, ecomic and intellectual developments of the period. The new edition has been revised throughout and includes an updated bibliography.
- Author BiographyGeoffrey Parker is Andreas Dorpalen Professor of History at Ohio State University. He previously taught at Yale University (1993-96) and at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign where he was department chair from 1989 to 1991. He also taught at the Universities of Cambridge and St Andrews in Britain and at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, in Canada. His many books include The Military Revolution. Military innovation and the rise of the West, 1500-1800 (1988), the winner of two book prizes, Philip II (1978), now in its third edition, The Grand Strategy of Philip II (1998) The Dutch Revolt (revised edition, 1984), and The Thirty Years' War (revised edition, 1997).
- Author(s)Geoffrey Parker
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication24/10/2001
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleBlackwell Classic Histories of Europe S.
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note13
- Weight620 g
- Width162 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.