All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA timely and provocative account of why the euro has failed and why, as a result, the Union will unravel Europe's center-left is rapidly falling out of love with the European single currency. Fifteen years after its creation, British journalists Larry Elliott and Dan Atkinson assess its performance to show why. Looking at a range of key indicators the authors show how the euro has failed to deliver on its promise of more jobs, more growth and greater equality. Instead it has undermined the European Union. Elliott and Atkinson compare the European Central Bank to the Federal Reserve, arguing that the architects of the euro subjugated ecomic measures to political considerations. Consequently, countries that didn't meet the ecomic convergence criteria were still allowed entry. The end result is a dysfunctional currency union that is unable to cope with difficult ecomic circumstances. Assessing the situations in Greece, Germany, Italy, France, Ireland, and Iceland, as well as Britain, they show that the current policy of kicking the can down the road and hoping that something will turn up is proving increasingly unpopular with the currency's one-time fans in progressive politics. This engaging and accessibly written volume will be widely read by ecomists, pundits, and policymakers as Britian considers its future relationship with Europe.
- Author BiographyLarry Elliott is economics editor at The Guardian. Dan Atkinson is financial editor at Sticky Content. Both authors live in the UK.
- Author(s)Dan Atkinson,Larry Elliott
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication13/05/2016
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note12 b/w illus.
- Weight544 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.