All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe European Union has long portrayed itself as an international leader on climate change. In this book, the first systematic assessment of Europe's claim to climate leadership, Diarmuid Torney analyzes the EU's engagement with China and India on climate policies from 1990 to the present. Torney develops an analytical framework for assessing EU climate leadership that charts the factors driving the EU's engagement with China and India, the form of the engagement, and the Chinese and Indian response. He argues that EU engagement was driven by a desire to build its international role, growing concern regarding climate impacts, and an interest in the ecomic opportunities provided by the transition to a low-carbon global ecomy. European engagement with China and India took the form of institutionalized dialogue and capacity-building, with more extensive contact with China than with India. He finds little evidence of coherence between the EU's external climate change policies and other policy areas. Indeed, the overriding priority in both relationships was the deepening of trade. Torney shows that China responded to the EU with limited rmative emulation and lesson drawing; India's principal response was resistance. He argues that both European leadership on climate change and Chinese and Indian followership were severely constrained by a variety of factors, including the nature and extent of the EU's capabilities and the domestic politics, rmative frames, and material interests of China and India, which did t align with the EU's agenda.
- Author BiographyDiarmuid Torney is Lecturer in International Relations in the School of Law and Government at Dublin City University.
- Author(s)Diarmuid Torney
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication04/09/2015
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Series TitleEarth System Governance
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Weight544 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.