All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEuropean Intertexts is the first fruit of an ongoing collaborative study aiming to challenge the isolationism of much critical work on English literature by exploring the interdependence of English and continental European literatures in writing by women. While later volumes will deal with specific texts, this introductory volume provides a descriptive framework and a theoretical basis for studies in the field. Covering issues such as the role of English as a world language, the definition of Europe, and the current state of Translation Studies, the book also surveys theories of intertextuality and demonstrates intertextual links between written and visual and film texts. This book is itself pioneering in making a systematic approach to women s writings in English in the context of other European cultures. Although Europe is a political reality, this cultural interpenetration remains largely unexamined, and these essays represent an important first step towards revealing that unexplored richness.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Patsy Stoneman is an Emeritus Reader in English at the University of Hull (UK). Her publications include monographs entitled Elizabeth Gaskell (1987) and Bronte Transformations: the Cultural Dissemination of Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights (1996), and numerous edited works on Gaskell and the Brontes.As convener of Hull University s M.A. in Women and Literature in English, she co-ordinated Erasmus/Socrates exchanges with a network of European partners, and since 1999 has co-ordinated the British-Academy-funded European Intertexts project. Ana Maria Sanchez-Arce received an M.A. in Women and Literature in English from the Univesity of Hull in 1998 and also in English Literature and North American Studies in 1999 from the Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona. She teaches at the University of Reading (UK) and is currently finishing her doctoral thesis on authenticity in contemporary British literature at the University of Hull.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/02/2005
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleEuropean Connections
- Series Part/Volume Number13
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight430 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edited byAna Maria Sanchez-Arce,Angela Leighton,Dr. Patsy Stoneman,Peter Collier
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.