All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides a broad sociolinguistic perspective on major questions of political and cultural Europeanization. It is concerned with European multilingualism as it actually results from the intersecting endeavour of policy making and scientific research. This volume argues that the EU must overcome the major discrepancies of its linguistic diversity politics by developing into a multiple inclusive society beyond the nation-state in order to seriously unfold European multilingualism as a political goal. Expanding on the theoretical and methodological approaches developed within the EU project LINEE (Languages in a Network of European Excellence), this book further focuses on the LINEE key variables of European multilingualism i.e. 'culture', 'discourse', 'identity', 'ideology', 'kwledge', 'LPP', 'multi-competence', and 'power & conflict'. Against this background, this study argues for reconceptualising European multilingualism on the basis of an integrative and multi-focal approach.
- Author BiographyRosita Rindler Schjerve is a full professor of Romance Linguistics at the Department of Romance Studies of Vienna University. Her research focus is on multilingualism, code-switching, language shift, language policies and Europeanisation. She was a partner in various EU-funded projects and author and editor of numerous books and contributions to international journals and handbooks. Eva Vetter is a professor at the Center for Research into Language Teaching and Learning at the University of Vienna. She holds a PhD in Applied Linguistics and is the author of various publications focusing on specific aspects of multilingualism, e.g. minority languages in France, language awareness of teachers, and teaching and learning languages in multilingual contexts. Her research interests also include discourse analysis and language policy.
- Author(s)Eva Vetter,Rosita Rindler Schjerve
- PublisherChannel View Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication15/05/2012
- Series TitleMultilingual Matters
- Series Part/Volume Number147
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMultilingual Matters
- Weight405 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.