All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWood-pastures are important elements of European cultural identity and have an exceptional ecological value, yet they are in decline all over Europe. The structure of wood-pastures is strongly influenced by grazing and multiple other land uses and by local and regional environmental conditions. This book examines the diverse expressions of wood-pastures across Europe. It provides a new perspective, using a social-ecological framework to explore social and ecological values, governing institutions, threats and conservation approaches. It explores the major drivers of decline, which are shown to be related to accelerated cultural, institutional and developmental changes occurring across Europe over the past century. Case studies are included from North-Western, Southern, and Eastern Europe. Written by rewned scholars and conservationists, the book contributes to developing better, locally adapted conservation policies and management approaches for wood-pastures.
- Author BiographyTibor Hartel is Associate Professor in the Environmental Science Department at Sapientia University of Transylvania, Romania, and is a member of the Board of Directors of the Society for Conservation Biology: Europe Section. His research focuses on rural landscapes from Eastern Europe. He studies wood-pastures in Romania and has been involved in a number of management and educational activities targeting wood-pastures and old trees. Tobias Plieninger is Associate Professor at the Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management, University of Copenhagen, Denmark. He is interested in the study of the driving forces, processes and patterns of changes in human-shaped landscapes. His research integrates natural and social science approaches to landscape ecology and conservation.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication25/06/2014
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note69 black & white illustrations, 10 black & white tables, 40 black & white halftones, 19 black & white line drawings
- Weight612 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byTibor Hartel,Tobias Plieninger
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $18.97Trending at AU $20.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.