About this product
- DescriptionThe Second Vatican Council (1962-1965) has forced Evangelical theology to rethink its own perception and analysis of Roman Catholicism. Many Evangelical theologians have attempted to grapple with the new Roman Catholic outlook and the ecumenical challenges it brings. After describing the theological contours of Evangelicalism, the book critically surveys the works on Roman Catholicism by Gerrit Berkouwer, Cornelius Van Til, David Wells, Donald Bloesch, Herbert Carson, John Stott, and two on-going international dialogues between Evangelicals and Catholics. The Evangelical appraisal of Roman Catholicism has in general suffered from a lack of systemic awareness in dealing with it. The prevailing approach has been marked by an interpretative atomism, and the last two chapters propose the formulation of an Evangelical systemic analysis. First, by supporting the feasibility of the category of system as applied to Roman Catholicism, thus developing the basic theological hermeneutics proposed by Abraham Kuyper. Second, by indicating in the Roman Catholic articulations of the relationship between nature and grace and in the ecclesiological self-understanding of the Roman Church the two main theological foci of the system.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Leonardo De Chirico holds degrees in modern history (University of Bologna) and theology (Evangelical Theological College of Wales). In 2003 he received his Ph.D. on the contemporary Evangelical interpretations of Roman Catholicism at King's College, London. He is Adjunct Director of the Istituto di Formazione Evangelica e Documentazione (IFED) in Padova (Italy) and editor of its theological journal Studi di teologia. His previous books include Il movimento evangelicale (Brescia, 2002) written with Pietro Bolognesi.
- Author(s)Leonardo De Chirico
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/11/2003
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Series TitleReligions and Discourse
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 19
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content NoteBibliography, index
- Weight480 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.44Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $30.11
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $25.82
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.