All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $52.91
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.04
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionThe editors have performed a great service in making widely available a documentary history of the interpretation of the Eve and Adam story. -Publishers Weekly This fascinating volume examines Genesis 1-3 and the different ways that Jewish, Christian, and Muslim interpreters have used these passages to define and enforce gender roles...a 'must'... -Choice Wonderful! A marvelous introduction to the ways in which the three major Western religious traditions are both like, and unlike one ather. -Ellen Umansky, Fairfield University No other text has affected women in the western world as much as the story of Eve and Adam. This remarkable anthology surveys more than 2,000 years of Jewish, Christian, and Muslim commentary and debate on the biblical story that continues to raise fundamental questions about what it means to be a man or to be a woman. The selections range widely from early postbiblical interpretations in the Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha to the Qur'an, from Thomas Aquinas to medieval Jewish commentaries, from Christian texts to 19th-century antebellum slavery writings, and on to pieces written especially for this volume.
- Author BiographyKRISTEN E. KVAM teaches at the Saint Paul School of Theology in Kansas City. LINDA S. SCHEARING is a professor in the Religious Studies department at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. VALARIE H. ZIEGLER is a professor in the department of Religious Studies at DePauw University in Greencastle, IN. She is author of The Advocates of Peace in Antebellum America.
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication15/05/1999
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight763 g
- Width3963 mm
- Height5969 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byKristen E. Kvam,Linda S. Schearing,Valarie H. Ziegler
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.