All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHamilton has always been kwn for its music scene. From blues singer Long John Baldry to punk rock groups like Teenage Head, musicians, and music have made their home here. But Andrew Baulcomb is charting a new group of performers in Evenings and Weekends. A generation of musicians that came of age with renters and boomerang basement-dwellers, those students who left university just as the bottom dropped out of the global ecomy. Baulcomb starts the story in 2006 when he was the senior arts editor at The Silhouette, McMaster's student newspaper, and singer Max Kerman pressed him one of his first CDs. He ends it when Kerman took the stage at Supercrawl with the Arkells in 2014 before a crowd of thousands. But the Arkells are only one part of the vibrant music scene Baulcomb captures in this book. From invative DJs to venue owners to radio hosts to punk rockers, he interviews them all and weaves the story of an explosion of music in Hamilton with that of a generation adrift. This is a coming-of-age story that puts a human face on the people who made the music happen, and on those who listened to it.
- Author BiographyAndrew Baulcomb is a freelance writer and former reporter based in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. His interviews and music features have appeared in VICE, The Hamilton Spectator, I Heart Hamilton, Zink Magazine, Niagara This Week, VIEW Magazine and several other publications. In 2008, he graduated from McMaster University with a combined honours degree in Cultural Studies & Critical Theory and Art History. For more than a decade, his fascination with Hamilton's thriving arts scene and shifting cultural identity has informed much of his work.
- Author(s)Andrew Baulcomb
- PublisherWolsak and Wynn
- Date of Publication01/10/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWolsak and Wynn
- Weight363 g
- Width137 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.94
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.