All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThinking and talking in everyday life differs from thinking and talking in more formal contexts, and that difference is t always taken into account in social psychology. What is needed is an approach that sets the man and woman in the street as competent actors in their own right, rather than just pinpointing their alleged cognitive shortcomings. This book proposes the theory of Social Representations, which allows us to articulate collective and individual psychological processes, as a solution. The text begins with a general analysis of everyday thinking in psychology, discussing research into socio-political, popular scientific and cultural systems of common-sense. The theory is presented through both classic and contemporary research into the construction of the social world, from the individual level of representations as metaphors, images and cognitive structures, to collective phemena such as dialogue, discourse and shared understandings. The concluding chapters cover epistemological and methodological developments in the field. This book is the first comprehensive, integrative and book-length treatment of Moscovici's Theory of Social Representations in the English language.
- Author BiographyWOLFGANG WAGNER was born in Vienna and received his PhD at the university of Vienna. Currently he is professor of social and economic psychology at the University of Linz. He has held various visiting professorships in the UK, France, Spain and Latin America. He founded the now online-journal Papers on Social Representations, published the German book Alltagsdiskurs and co-edited Theories and Controversies in Societal Psychology. NICKY HAYES is a social psychologist with particular research interests in social representations and social identification, in everyday life and in managerial contexts. She is also widely known as the author of several books including Successful Team Management, Doing Psychological Research and various textbooks.
- Author(s)Nicky Hayes,Wolfgang Wagner
- PublisherPalgrave USA
- Date of Publication01/06/2005
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationGordonsville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight584 g
- Width138 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine26 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.