All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionI am, and always will be, a lighthouse keeper's daughter. I had the good fortune to be born to a different kind of childhood. I didn't recognize this fact back when I was small. I thought that everybody lived like we did on our little island of Cuttyhunk, Massachusetts, which in itself was a life apart... This is the true story of a family's life at lighthouses on the edge of civilization. It's a story of adventure, devotion to duty, and love. Seamond Ponsart Roberts shares her memories and emotions with good humor, a sharp eye for detail, and above all an appreciation for a way of life that has passed into history. Illustrated with 30 B&W photos and maps. If you enjoy reading as much as I do, you will understand what it means to have a book 'grab you' right from its opening pages. This book captured me before I'd even finished the ackwledgements with the author's simple way of writing and her invitation to share her adventures as if 'we are old friends sitting on the porch telling each other stories.' A pleasant conversation with a treasured friend is exactly what reading this book is like. . . . 'Everyday Heroes' is a wonderful book rich with history and the everyday trials and tribulations of life as lightkeepers. It left this reader feeling stalgic for a way of life I've never experienced -a life both rich and somehow uncomplicated by the hardships faced by those who lived it. The author's words will enthrall you and by the time you reach the end of the book, you will have a new appreciation for a lost way of life. But just as importantly, you will feel you have a new friend in Seamond Ponsart Roberts. -- Donna Suchomelly, World Lighthouse Society newsletter.
- Author BiographySeamond Ponsart Roberts spent her childhood in the 1940s and '50s at the Massachusetts lighthouses on Cuttyhunk Island and at West Chop on Martha's Vineyard, where her father was the keeper. She lives now with her husband, David, in Pineville, Louisiana. Jeremy D'Entremont is the author of more than ten books on lighthouses and maritime history. He lives in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
- Author(s)Seamond Ponsart Roberts
- Date of Publication18/04/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight553 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byJeremy D'Entremont
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.