All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book makes accessible-for the first time in English-declassified archival documents from the former Soviet Union, rabbinic sources, and previously untranslated memoirs, illuminating everyday Jewish life as the site of interaction and negotiation among and between neighbors, society, and the Russian state, from the beginning of the nineteenth century to World War I. Focusing on religion, family, health, sexuality, work, and politics, these documents provide an intimate portrait of the rich diversity of Jewish life. By personalizing collective experience through individual life stories-reflecting t only the typical but also the extraordinary-the sources reveal the tensions and ruptures in a vanished society. An introductory survey of Russian Jewish history from the Polish partitions (1772-1795) to World War I combines with prefatory remarks, textual antations, and a bibliography of suggested readings to provide a new perspective on the history of the Jews of Russia.
- Author BiographyCHAERAN Y. FREEZE is associate professor in the Department of Near Eastern and Judaic Studies at Brandeis University. She is the author of Jewish Marriage and Divorce in Imperial Russia. JAY M. HARRIS is Harry Austryn Wolfson Professor of Jewish Studies and dean of undergraduate education at Harvard University.
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication03/12/2013
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of New England
- Content Notemaps
- Weight1293 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine46 mm
- Edited byChaeRan Y. Freeze,Jay M. Harris
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.