All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionWhat does science say about race? In this book a distinguished research geneticist presents abundant evidence showing that traditional tions about distinct racial differences have little scientific foundation.In short, racism is t just morally wrong; it has basis in fact. The author lucidly describes in detail the factors that have led to the current scientific consensus about race. Both geneticists and anthropologists w generally agree that the human species originated in sub-Saharan Africa and darkly pigmented skin was the ancestral state of humanity. Moreover, worldwide human diversity is so complex that discrete races cant be genetically defined. And for individuals, ancestry is more scientifically meaningful than race. Separate chapters are devoted to controversial topics: skin color and the scientific reasons for the differences; why ancestry is more important to individual health than race; intelligence and human diversity; and evolutionary perspectives on the persistence of racism. This is an enlightening book that goes a long way toward dispelling the irrational tions at the heart of racism.
- Author BiographyDaniel J. Fairbanks is the dean of the College of Science and Health at Utah Valley University and a distinguished university professor, research geneticist, artist, and author. He is the author of Evolving: The Human Effect and Why It Matters; Relics of Eden: The Powerful Evidence of Evolution in Human DNA; and the coauthor (with A. Franklin, A. W. F. Edwards, D. L. Hartl, and T. Seidenfeld) of Ending the Mendel-Fisher Controversy, and (with W. R. Andersen) of Genetics: The Continuity of Life, in addition to numerous journal articles.
- Author(s)Daniel J. Fairbanks
- PublisherPrometheus Books
- Date of Publication17/04/2015
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationAmherst
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrometheus Books
- Out-of-print date02/03/2016
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight227 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.