Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.06
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionThe problem of evil has preoccupied world religions for centuries. The Old Testament contained uniform dogma on evil powers, launching a fierce debate that has dominated theological and philosophical thought through the centuries to this day. Evil and the Devil brings together contributions from leading inter national scholars to chart that debate, tracing the history of evil from its origins in the Old Testament through early Judaism and the New Testament to the thought of Origen and one of the topic's most influential theologians, Augustine. What role did evil adopt in ancient Judaism? What impact did the association of miracles with demons have upon Matthew's Gospel? Evil and the Devil examines such questions, resulting in a fascinating and comprehensive exploration of portrayals of evil and its power and influence on religious thought.
- Author BiographyIda Frohlich teaches at the Pazmany Peter Catholic University in Budapest, Hungary. She is author of Time and Times and a Half a Time: Historical Consciousness in the Jewish Literatrue of the Persian and Hellenistic Eras (1996). Erkki Koskenniemi is adjunct professor of Biblical Studies at Abo Akademi University, Finland. He is author of The Old Testament Miracle-Workers in Early Judaism (2005) and The Exposure of Infants among Jews and Christians in Antiquity (2009).
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication23/05/2013
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleThe Library of New Testament Studies
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintT.& T.Clark Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight571 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byErkki Koskenniemi,Ida Frohlich
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.