All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book explores the contours of women's involvement in the Irish Republican Army, political protest and the prison experience in Northern Ireland. Through the voices of female and male combatants, it demonstrates that women remained marginal in the examination of imprisonment during the Conflict and in the negotiated peace process. However, the book shows that women performed a number of roles in war and peace that placed constructions of femininity in dissent. Azrini Wahidin argues that the role of the female combatant is t given but ambiguous. She indicates that a tension exists between different conceptualisations of societal security, where female combatants both fought against societal insecurity posed by the state and contributed to internal societal dissonance within their eth-national groups. This book tackles the lacunae that has created a disturbing silence and an absence of a comprehensive understanding of women combatants, which includes kwledge of their motivations, roles and experiences. It will be of particular interest to scholars of crimilogy, politics and peace studies.
- Author BiographyAzrini Wahidin is Professor of Criminology and Criminal Justice at Nottingham Trent University, UK. She is on the Executive Committee of the British Society of Criminology and is Chair of the Professional Affairs and Ethics Committee. She has held visiting posts at Melbourne University, University of Sydney, Middle Tennessee State University and the University of Malaya.
- Author(s)Azrini Wahidin
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication28/08/2016
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitlePalgrave Studies in Compromise After Conflict
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note3 black & white tables, biography
- Weight483 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.