Examining the Foundations of Solidarity in the Social Encyclicals of John Paul II by Uzochukwu Jude Njoku (Paperback, 2006)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis work elucidates the theological and philosophical backgrounds of the ethics of solidarity in official Catholic social thinking, with a focus on John Paul II s social encyclicals. His concept of solidarity springs from a complex combination of history, tradition and philosophy. This study t only illustrates these backgrounds, but also the basic hermeneutical conditions for a reappraisal of the concept of solidarity in Christian social ethics and in contemporary debates. While recognising the fluidity, which characterises the articulation of this concept, it underscores an orientation to a particular version of personalism as being central to the pope s understanding of solidarity. With insights from Liberation theology, other thinkers like Enrique Dussel and Paul Ric ur and the social history of Africa, this work attempts to criticise and enrich the personalist approach of John Paul II with a more structural methodology. It argues for an appropriation of Paul Ric ur s tion of creative tension between person and social structures for a balanced understanding of solidarity and social change.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Uzochukwu Jude Njoku, born in Nigeria, holds a Bachelor s degree in Philosophy and a Bachelor s degree in Theology from the Pontifical Urban University Rome. He holds a Diploma in Academic Teaching, a Master s degree in Religious Studies, a Master s degree in Theology and a Doctorate degree in Theology from the Catholic University of Louvain (Belgium).
- Author(s)Uzochukwu Jude Njoku
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/01/2006
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleEuropaische Hochschulschriften/European University Studies/Publications Universitaires Europeennes Reihe 23: Theologie/Series 23: Theology/Serie 23: Theologie
- Series Part/Volume Number819
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Weight610 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.51Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.