All listings for this product
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $27.06
- AU $33.35Trending at AU $39.52
- AU $11.42Trending at AU $14.09
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.35
- AU $18.79Trending at AU $25.47
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $45.33
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $36.20
About this product
- DescriptionAs a professor at Yale, William Deresiewicz saw something that troubled him deeply. His students, some of the nation's brightest minds, were adrift when it came to the big questions: how to think critically and creatively, and how to find a sense of purpose. Excellent Sheep takes a sharp look at the high-pressure conveyor belt that begins with parents and counselors who demand perfect grades and culminates in the skewed applications Deresiewicz saw firsthand as a member of Yale's admissions committee. As schools shift focus from the humanities to practical subjects like ecomics and computer science, students are losing the ability to think in invative ways. Deresiewicz explains how college should be a time for self-discovery, when students can establish their own values and measures of success, so they can forge their own path. He addresses parents, students, educators, and anyone who's interested in the direction of American society, featuring quotes from real students and graduates he has corresponded with over the years, candidly exposing where the system is broken and clearly presenting solutions.
- Author BiographyWilliam Deresiewicz is an essayist, book critic, and the author of the highly acclaimed A Jane Austen Education: How Six Novels Taught Me About Love, Friendship, and the Things That Really Matter Mel Foster has narrated over 150 audiobooks and has won several awards. Twice an Audie finalist for 1864: Lincoln at the Gates of History by Charles Bracelen Flood and Finding God in Unexpected Places by Philip Yancey, he won for the latter title.
- Author(s)William Deresiewicz
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication19/08/2014
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Weight72 g
- Width135 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Narrator(s)Mel Foster
- Format DetailsMP3 format
- Running Time514
- Edition StatementMP3 - Unabridged CD
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.