All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book deals with the system of exchange marriages in South Punjab, Pakistan. This system does t only regulate mate selection, but it is also an institutional guarantee of reciprocity, welfare and social cohesion. It connects families by means of one marriage, and also creates a double bond between two (or sometimes more) couples. This establishes specific conditions for stability and possible changes in marriage pattern. Valuation and stigmatization as social mechanisms are used to maintain the system of the exchange. It also shows to what degree new forms of cultural values and new patterns of social exchange come into play, create contradictions and undermine the traditional cultural rms. The study focuses on the interplay between structure, culture, and agency (Archer 1996). Thereby, t only the functions and dysfunctions of the system come into view, but also the conditions under which the system is actively being maintained by different actors; the tensions that it produces between individual and collective perspectives; as well as the cultural and structural conditions under which marriage practices and concepts are gradually being transformed.
- Author BiographyMuhammad Zaman completed his PhD studies from the University of Leipzig (Germany) and Post-Doctoral Fellowship (Erasmus Mundus) from the University of Warsaw (Poland). He is working on the social exchange theory, research methods and sociology of conflict.
- Author(s)Muhammad Zaman
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication10/11/2011
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Series TitleEuropaische Hochschulschriften/European University Studies / Publications Universitaires Europeennes Reihe 22: Soziologie/Series 22: Sociology/Serie 22: Sociologie
- Series Part/Volume Number442
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published2011
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight290 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.