Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $30.35Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionNoted Kierkegaard scholar Edward Mooney guides the reader through the major themes of the Danish philosopher's life and thought. Each chapter frames a striking issue, usually encapsulated in a short passage from Kierkegaard, and pursues it directly and deeply. Kierkegaard speaks to our need for self-understanding, our need to negotiate the tensions between surprisingly subtle capacities for communication and surprisingly easy descent into cliches and banality. The chapter of this book follow and re-animate Kierkegaard's brilliant and humorous discussions of death and authenticity, of the maternal and paternal in faith and self-transformations, of self-deception and obsessive judgmentalism, of love and the search for stable centers, of subjectivity as refinement of responsiveness to others, the world, and all we can value. These evocative explications aim to match his stride in tracking deep human concerns that evade academic and cultural pigeonholes. Like Hamlet, Kierkegaard gives us a poem unlimited that is open to endless reflection. Mooney's aim is to bring his matchless impulse and aspiration once more alive.
- Author BiographyEdward F. Mooney is Professor of Philosophy and Religion at Syracuse University, USA. He is the author or editor of eight books, including Kierkegaard's Repetition and Philosophical Crumbs (Editor and Introduction, 2009), On Soren Kierkegaard (2007), Ethics, Love, and Faith in Kierkegaard: A Philosophical Engagement (2008), Selves in Discord and Resolve: Kierkegaard's Moral-Religious Psychology from Either/Or to Sickness Unto Death (1996), and Knights of Faith and Resignation: Reading Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling (1991).
- Author(s)Edward F. Mooney
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication14/02/2013
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Weight314 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.