All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionProviding a comprehensive review of the interactions between exercise and human reproduction, this unique text focuses on both the positive and negative consequences of sport and physical activity on male and female fertility and infertility and the biological mechanisms and processes behind them. Beginning with a review of the structure and function of the male and female reproductive systems as well as fertilization and gestation, the discussion then turns to the physiology and endocrilogy of sport and exercise, which is further elaborated in subsequent chapters on the impact of physical activity, hormonal changes, pathologies, and consequences of drug use for active men and women. Additional chapters address related topics, such as the impact of sport on young athletes and developing reproductive potential, physical activity and pregnancy, the use of oral contraceptives in athletes, oxidative stress, and the impact of nutritional deficiencies on athletes' fertility, with a final chapter providing recommendations and therapeutic guidelines for exercise-related reproductive disorders. Covering everything from the fundamental principles of sports physiology and human reproductive potential to the interaction between physical exercise and the endocrilogy of the reproductive system, Exercise and Human Reproduction is an authoritative resource for helping clinicians understand how the reproductive system adapts to activity and exercise and offers strategies to avoid potential harm to human reproduction.
- Author BiographyDiana M. Vaamonde Martin,PhD, Department of Morphological Sciences, University of Cordoba, Reproductive Care Center, Gynemed,Cordoba, Spain Stefan S. du Plessis, MBA, PhD (Stell),Division of Medical Physiology, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Tygerberg, Cape Town, South Africa Ashok Agarwal, PhD, HCLD (ABB), ELD (ACE), American Center for Reproductive Medicine and, The Andrology Center, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication06/03/2016
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note19 black & white illustrations, 40 colour illustrations, 21 black & white tables, 40 colour tables, biography
- Weight884 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byAshok Agarwal,Diana M. Vaamonde Martin,Stefan S. Du Plessis
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.